May 2, 2017

, , , , , , , , ,

AY 16/17 Sem 2 NUS module review

UPDATED ON 22 JULY 2017 WITH RESULTS
Before entering university, I used to spend HOURS reading blogs of undergrads who reviewed the modules they took for the semester and I found it really useful, although the experience of each module for every person may be different (due to their own interests in the module / different lecturers or change in syllabus for different semesters). I did not have the time to do so last semester, but I'm going to do one this sem!!! WOOHOO. I think it's good to reflect on how much I've learnt from each mod after going through 13 weeks of learning that particular content, since university isn't really just grades to me. I always find myself questioning how I will be using this for my future career, just so that I don't fall into the trap of studying for the sake of it, because I believe that university is the place where I get to learn what I truly have interest in and couldn't do so during my past educational journey due to practical reasons. Anyways coming back to the topic of this post, the modules I took this sem were: GL2101 (core), GE2202 (core/2nd Major/UE), GE2229 (core/2nd Major/UE), GER1000 (ULR), LAK2201 (core) and UTC1411 (UTCP, JS). I'll introduce the module in a brief paragraph (what the mod is about and my experience) followed by what I liked and disliked about this module, assessment criteria and if I'll recommend it to others or not. Oh and also my expected grade and MAAAAYBE update with my final grade when I get back the results! Ok leggo.

1. GL2101: Origins of the Modern World 
Guess I'm starting off with my core module which was really felt like a burden this whole sem. If you've taken history before in JC / read up about European history before, it'll probably just be a recap for you. I only studied 2 years of history in secondary sch as en elective and I really disliked history in the past (until this mod happened) as it seemed to be just memorisation of facts and outcomes and regurgitating out during exams to me. The learning curve was really steep for me since I had literally 0 knowledge on European history or Asian history before I took this mod (unless you count JS1101E but japan was hardly mentioned during this module besides their participation in WW2). I got a C for my midterms (I still think I deserved at least a B- zz) and A- for the term paper so today's finals was really gonna determine how badly (or well) I do for this mod. I'm glad to say that after 14 hours of chionging my cheat sheet the day before the finals, I managed to do my paper well imo (but may not translate into good marks lmao). 4700 words on 1 side of an A4 paper is no freaking joke!!! Do start early if Prof Graf allows for the cheat sheet again next time. The cheat sheet really helped though, I was copying all the information that was relevant to the questions I attempted, which was about 1/4 of the cheat sheet (1100~ words) so the time spent doing the cheat sheet was really worth it. Don't be lazy and not do the cheat sheet (I saw some people with quite bare cheat sheets) unless your brain has 1TB of space and you can memorise 13 weeks worth of readings and pick out the right information under the stress and time constraint during finals.
This module covered 15th to 21st century focusing on the major powers and their statehood / ideologies and key events that happened throughout the time period that shaped the world to what it is today; hence the title Origins of the Modern World. I usually hate history but this mod covered really interesting topics if you make the connections between the different time periods and see the big picture. 4 major segments included Early Modern Globalisation (Colonialism by European and their colonial networks of production and exchange), Revolutions (American/French/Haitian and Industrial), European Imperialism (Ideologies, Practices and Asian/Colonial Responses) and 20th-21st century history (WW1,WW2 + Cold War & Third World).

What I liked about this mod: t's really ALOT of information to understand and cram in 4.5 months and it was really hard at the beginning as I couldn't make links between what I was learning and the modern world. But after going through the whole syllabus, I can say that all (only 2 lol) the global studies modules I've taken so far are extremely challenging BUT SATISFYING because I really learnt a lot from them and I think that's what I want out of my university education :) Even if the final grade isn't good / pulls down my CAP this sem, I think I'll be happy with what I've taken away from this module because I am really able to understand the world better now. 
What I disliked about this mod: The prof often mumbles to herself when she gets carried away in her train of thoughts and speaks quite softly (100% volume was barely sufficient to listen to her electure) so once you lose track and let your mind wander off during lectures, you'll have a hard time getting back into it and that's what happened to me for 2-3 lectures. There is no webcast / recording for this module so it was a MUST to attend lectures on Fridays 4pm-6pm. What I've learnt from this sem: 1. Do NOT take mods that have finals on the same day, even if you have to replan all your mods and timetable to take a different mod, DON'T EVER TAKE 2 FINALS ON THE SAME DAY LOL. So freaking shag now but I'm destressing through this haha just really glad that today is almost over and I can happily revise my GE2229 after I get some sleep. 2. DO NOT PLAN FRIDAY 4-6 LECTURES EVER AGAIN. Everyone will be TGIF-ing while you drag yourself to take D1 to arts for lecture. Not cool pong, don't ever do it again. I could have taken another core module to avoid these 2 problems but oh well. At least I'm done with 1 core module!!!

ASSESSMENT: 
20% tutorial participation
25% midterm paper (due ~wk 6): C
25% term paper (due ~wk 12): A- example of a prompt: How do Marx and Engels discuss the connections between imperialism and industrial capitalism? Based on their text, do you think it is fair to say that the origins of capitalism are global in nature?
30% finals
Expected grade: B-/B/B+ i really dk because her marking is really weird.
Final grade: B-
I OFFICIALLY HATE THIS MODULE. Jk I hate how the bell curve is skewed towards those who already have a background in history and how the prof conducts her lectures. The readings were q intense too and looking back, I can only remember the stuff I wrote on my cheatsheet. Getting B- overall shows that having a cheatsheet doesn't make the finals any easier. Because everyone has their own cheatsheet too so how you answer the question will distinguish you from other students.

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? No. Hell no. Unless you are a global studies major or minor. This is a non-s/u-able mod that gave me so much stress over the past week if you still haven't felt it from what you've read BUT IF YOU'VE TAKEN H2 history before and you want to wreck the bellcurve for GL Majors, why not :) trust me you'll get karma. HAHAHAH kidding but really, unless you have legit interest in this mod / confident of doing well, don't take it. Even if you have interest in history, just take some history mod not this GL core!!! 

2. GE2202: Economy and Space [A disappointment and regret taking this mod now that I look back on it.]
This mod can be counted under the global economics and development theme for GL. Throughout this whole sem I thought I found my calling. The textbook for this module was "Economic Geography" and that's precisely what I like and wanted to do in uni. Until I sat for finals today. Maybe it's just because I wasn't well prepared for finals but I felt SO drained during this paper and questioned myself for taking this module LOL. Anyways, topics included Capitalism, Finance, State, Tech Change, TNC, Spaces of Consumption, Commodity chains, Clusters, Gendered and Ethnic communities, Labour Power.

What I liked about this mod: Quite a chill module, but the readings no chill!!! But the lecturer is pretty famous in this field + entertaining + damn friendly / fatherly + practical + GIVES EXAM TOPICS that I didn't prepare lmao = BEST LECTURER IN MY LIFE SO FAR HONESTLY. He is able to impart his knowledge to us in a coherent and interesting manner. It sounds so simple to accomplish but somehow it is v rare to find lecturers like him who can do both. Tutorials were okaaaaaay not compulsory but do go for the first tutorial to choose your group mates for the presentation. He seems pretty chill in marking too, my research paper on UNIQLO seemed more like a marketing paper (even I felt that same way but I was more concerned with my GL2101 term paper to focus so much on this) but I guess my research for it (went to the flagship store to take photos and interview a manager) convinced him to change my B+ to A-. 
What I didn't like about this mod: READINGS NO CHILL LA. 60 pages a week is insane. Even global studies ain't 60 pages. Ok that's my only complaint. HAHA. OH and 30% per essay for finals is a really high weightage, would have preferred more CA.

ASSESSMENT:
10% group presentation on a commodity chain/TNC's GPN: 6-7/10
30% research essay: A-
60% finals (2 essays, so each is 30%)
Expected grade: B/B+ (really screwed up 1 of the essays for finals today sigh I don't even want to find out what the answer should be, but thank god this is an S/U-able mod just in case I do really badly)
Final grade: B+ 
I actually wanted to get B for this and S/U it LOL but feels weird to be stuck with this average grade because I don't feel like I've learnt much from this module, maybe because it felt like a recap of A level globalisation. As much as I found the prof v entertaining, I was looking forward to new knowledge about the economy and space that I've not learnt before but it seems like I expected too much from this module. Really regret taking this module in this sem as I should have taken IEM2 and S/Ued it instead. 

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? If you really have interest in economic geography i.e. the topics I mentioned above + ready to read 60 pages per week :D but I'll say take it, the lecturer is really good :) no. 

3. GE2229: Water and Environment 
This mod can be counted under the global health and environment theme for GL. The only reason I took this mod was in case I wanted to do a 2nd major in geog because that means I need to overload for arnd 4/5 sems and better to start now than later. But overloading meant I needed a chiller mod, and this had damn slack assessment criteria. No class part + papers + presentations / projects is THE LIFE LA. Perhaps the most chill mod I'll ever take in NUS. Me likey :)

What I liked: CHILL. I expected an intense H2 geog recap of hydrology + more depth & breadth but it was only around 30% hydro + 20% ATMO for before midterms (no kidding for midterms both the open ended questions were on atmo; hurricanes and El Nino): Water elements, Rainfall, Groundwater, Hydrology of Water Basins, Fluvial elements of geomorphology and Hydro Hazards (more like ATMO HAZARDS) + new COOL stuff after midterms like Cryosphere, The Global Ocean, Aquatic continuum, Impact of humans on aquatic continuum, Potable water and waste water treatment and Water conservation and management. I have a Y3 senior in Env Studies who didn't go for a single lecture and just chionged the webcasts a few days before midterms and she got an A. Yup. So after midterms I didn't really attend lectures (partly because of Korean project / papers due) and watched webcasts last week. All you need is 20~ hours to watch all the webcasts and internalise the information and you are ready for finals :D Oh and tutorials were DAMN chill too. You can even go without preparing for the tutorial and smoke your way through and be there just in case he teaches impt stuff. We even played quizzes in groups during the last tutorial and my group got 1 mark added to our overall grade because we got first. I think there are enough examples to prove to you how chill this mod is ayeeee. 
What I disliked: It's the lecturer's first time teaching in NUS, so that's why it's probably so chill. BUT he really can't give lectures la idk how he got employed by nus but he was literally just reading off the slides and the only interesting parts of lectures were the Youtube videos he showed. He is a good tutor though, just can't teach in a big setting I guess. Hope it gets better next sem after the feedback he receives!!

ASSESSMENT:
40% midterms: A-
60% finals 
Expected grade: A- as of now before I start my final revision LOL shall update after the paper tmrw.
Final grade: B+ 
The bell curve was a wrecker. Didn't expect to do this badly considering how easy the content was + A- for mid terms but I guess everyone did well too. 

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? yes. duh. is it not chill enough? HAHA you will have to endure the boring lecturers but it's worth it.
Take it only if you need to clear the tropical change group and want a mod with light workload, but be prepared to get B+ unless you work really hard for A- and above.

4. GER1000: Quantitative Reasoning
Compulsory module. Topics include Design of Studies, Association, Sampling, Probability and Networks.

What I liked about this mod: uhhhhhh it was hard to like this mod at first but I found networks really interesting!!! Stuff like closeness centrality measure, degree centrality measure,  between centrality measure and Bacon number. Found it really relevant to real life after going through the mod so even though it seems like a burden (cuz no one CHOSE to do this, it's pre-allocated to us, you don't do you don't graduate hehe), eventually I was able to apply what I learnt after the mod ended so I guess it was good!! PLUS MY TUTOR WAS ONE OF THE BEST ONES OMO damn lucky. He was quirky yet funny and kept encouraging us. Best tutor I've met so far, rest of the tutors that aren't the prof are just MEH useless.
What I disliked about this mod: Electures are a BORE. I just read the script + summaries by my tutor.

ASSESSMENT:
5% IVLE quizzes: 4.2/5? Missed one quiz :x
10% Class part: Should be 8/9? DEPENDS ON YOUR TUTOR. There are 5 tutorials and 5 members in each group so my tutor made sure that everyone in the group answered questions for the tutorial once.
20% Midterm test: 12/16 (Average LOL bell curve was v steep for this sem as compared to last sem)
25% Group Project: 17%~ish? Had some good teammates so it wasn't a bad experience. Met up about once or twice a week fm wk 9-11 to finish it up.
40% Finals: I felt that it was ok but IDK LOL all depends on the bell curve :/

Expected Grade: B+
Final grade: B+

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? you don't have a choice XD

5. LAK2201: Korean Level 2
Hmmmmm because I declared that I had background knowledge when I NEVER HAD FORMAL KOREAN LESSONS BEFORE ugh stupid pong just because I declared I watched kdramas for arnd 7 years I was not allowed to take level 1 and my appeal failed so I sucked it up and studied for around 1 week before the placement test, and got into level 2. The difficulty level was okaaaaaay since it's the beginner course but rlly glad that I got Han Ji Won as my lecturer!! Lectures/tutorials are q fun :) Always looked forward to it although it was 2 times a week @10am but it never felt like a legit lesson, I really enjoyed myself!  We learnt writing, speaking, listening and reading. Before I started level 2, I always thought that speaking was easiest to learn since I picked it up by watching shows BUT NOOOOOO oral is damn hard wth. Much more fluent in reading + listening > writing & speaking now sigh. Looking forward to level 3 but kind of afraid to go all the way to level 5 :( really hope this doesn't kill my passion for korean.
What I liked: Fun fun fun lessons. Fun and cute teacher. We sang "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" in Korean for the last lesson to round up what we learnt SECUTES. And fun and open classmates too!
What I disliked: Little guidance, the teacher just covered what was in the lecture notes. CA is only 40% but SO MANY ASSIGNMENTS D: I was the most on the ball for this mod because of all the CA LOL. 2 written assignments, 2 oral (individual + pair) + 2 exams = every alternate week there is something due for this mod.
ASSESSMENT:
25% Performance (participation, oral performance)
60% Mid -term test (76/100), Final- term test
15% Assignments: 10.5/15

Expected grade: Really unsure for this mod but still chill this sem since I can s/u if I don't get B+ hmm. B/B+
Final grade: B+
Moving onto Level 3 next sem and the class size is getting real small, hoping that the bell curve doesn't screw me up though.
And really hoping that I get Han Ji Won as my lecturer/tutor again I love her teaching style :)

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? If you have real interest. 'Nuff said.

6. UTC1411: Systems, Systems, Everywhere
I FOUND ZERO reviews on Junior Seminars for UTCP and honestly it frustrated me but I guess most people just ask seniors for reviews personally.
What I liked: Chill, 3 hour per week session to fulfil my UTCP requirement lol the most chill mod out of all utcp mods since it's auto s/u. SUPER EYE-OPENING FIELDTRIPS to see how different systems worked:
1. 1925 Micro-brewery (still miss all that craft beer we got to drink hehe)
2. Jurong Port Fishery: Hai Sia
3. Direct Funeral Services

What I disliked: Prof was too chill. and damn inflexible. I handed up both reflections a few days late because they were due @ same time as my global studies papers + I was sick during both periods LOL but he halved all my scores for the 32% omg. So this sem I experienced 2 weeks of UTC1411 reflection + GL2101 25% paper deadlines while being sick. Even though its an auto s/u mod I still wanted to get a good grade but oh well whatever as long as I passed and learnt something from this module I guess.
ASSESSMENT:
30% quizzes
38% presentation
32% Reflections

SHOULD YOU TAKE IT? no. there are more meaningful js out there. but if you are overloading and need a chill mod then take it :)

Alright I guess that's it for this sem! Really enjoyed all the modules this sem, it has been a really fulfilling semester and perhaps the most I've grown as a person in such a short period of time. Looking forward to summer!!!
1. CAPTSLAM Exco
2. CAPT FOC councillor
3. Arts camp councillor
4. CE Day Project Leader
5. MOVING HOUSE IN JUNE
yaaaaaaaaas summer here I come in 20 hours :)))

1 comment: